March 5, 2009

My Apologies To General Tso

My Bad

It came to my attention last night that the famous and most delicious Chinese food dish General Tso's chicken is actually pronounced General SAO not General's GAO's. I have to say this revelation was earth shattering, all these years of Chinese food orders, and not one waiter told me. Did they take the order and then retreat to the kitchen to laugh at me, or even worse tamper with my food. Of course these could be paranoid delusions, but it makes me think about how culturally in-sensitive I was and also what other menu items have I been pronouncing wrong. It's WON-TON correct?

Big time Watchmen Post tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but for real, i have not laughed that hard in a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. TPG,

    Nothing is wrong with the pronunciation of Gau. The name of General Tso's dish changes from region to region in the U.S. Up in Mass most places call it General Gau's, many other places in the U.S. call it Tso or Tzo.

    ReplyDelete