March 30, 2009

The Pussycat Dolls are Problematic

The other night I found myself watching the "Kid's Choice Awards" on Nickelodeon. Now I now most adults don't watch this, but, for the sake of staying mysterious let's just say it was not my choice. For the most part it was cool, celebrities got covered in slime, the Jonas Brothers proved their South Park episode was spot on, and it seemed like all the 8 year olds in the audience were really dialed into the whole thing. Then the Pussycat Dolls took the stage.

I'd never had a problem with "PCD", I always thought they were hot pop-stars doing there thing. When their single "When I grow up" hit the air-waves, I thought, great here we go again. But BOOM, when I saw this song performed live, I realized there was something wrong. Peep the lyrics
When I grow up
I wanna see the world
Drive nice cars
I wanna have groupies

This is a strange message to be delivering to the the youth of America. Hell yeah, I wanted to see the world when I was little, I've seen some it, it's pretty wild. That's a cool message that I can jive with, but all this business about fast cars and groupies, it pushes my buttons. I know our culture is insanely materialistic, but damn, this Pussycat dolls aren't beating around the bush here. Whatever happened to telling kids that they can be what they wanna be? Being a doctor? Maybe a nice car, but no groupies. Being a teacher, probably not going to be famous. I can't control the dolls, but I wish they would think a little bit more about their audience.

1 comment:

  1. I Loved How You Were Upset That They Wanted Groupies, Yet Had No Problems With Them Saying They Wanted To Have Boobies. Well Done Sir.

    ReplyDelete