May 11, 2011

Exploding Popcorn Presents: Thor

Welcome to THIS LA LIFE summer movie season. I'll try to review each of the summer films in my recurring season called "Exploding Popcorn," why did I pick this title? Simply put because there is nothing better than a good onscreen explosion (literally and metaphorically) and a large tub of popcorn. Combine them and you have a perfect summer movie microcosm.


Thor is a movie of firsts. It's technically the first summer movie*, it's the first post Iron Man Marvel/Avengers set up film, the first film starring future mega-star Chris Hemsworth, and the first mega comic book movie for director Kenneth Branagh. It is however not the first film to feature some long hair dude go ape shit with a hammer, that would be "Oldboy" but we're not gonna go do that path.

Going through the archives, I found many articles about my trepidation regarding a "magical" super-hero. However, I can say the magic aspect of the film really sets it apart from other films both in the super-hero. Rainbow bridges, galaxies flowing into waterfalls, rotating multi-dimensional portals, basically it's like the rainbow road level from Mario Kart crossed with Rivendell (sorry about the nerd language).

But let's talk about the action right. Sure there's a decent romance with Natalie Portman and some serious  family drama with Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston), but people wanna know how Mr. Hammer time compares to other super powered regulators? I can say that he delivers, at one point just straight up demolishing everything because he likes to fight. At this point he is responsible for the coolest OH SHIT MOMENT in the summer, but we'll have to see how some of the other movies shape up (I'm looking at you Transformers, Cap America, and X-Men).

I was pleasantly surprised by "Thor." With it's Shakespearian domestic drama in the clouds, funny fish out of water Earth jokes, decent romance, larger hints at the world of S.H.I.E.L.D, and hammering action, it's a great way to kick off the summer movie popcorn explosion.

*"Fast Five" was the unofficial start to the summer season. I didn't review cause I didn't need to. Everyone already knows it's the shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment