May 31, 2011

TPG's Game Time: Episode 7 "You Win or You Die"

R.I.P King of the Bros
I didn't think the King would go out so easily, but so it goes. All in all, other stellar episode featuring scheming, the return of my main meng Jon Snow, and some general ill tidings for Ned Stark? Will he go the way of Boromir? Is Sean Bean doomed to always get iced? Let's light up the torches and dive in.

Beheadings - 0
Creepy Incest Talk -1

1. If there is one staple thing that defines "Game of Thrones," it's the spear through the chest. Every single episode features someone getting a spear through the chest, whether it's in a raider attack, throne-room showdown, or just a courtyard confrontation, someone is having an intimate date with a spear.

2. If you're making a show/movie set in medieval times people are going to judge your work based off your market scenes. It is in the market that we see the extent of how the storyteller presents culture(or lack thereof) in an empire. The market scenes in "Gladiator" come to mind as examples of a way to show up the greater culture of a society. This episode's market scene complete with a gnarly whip takedown was fresh, with different kinds of merchants and of course some intrigue. Yet another why "Game of Thrones" is the best thing on TV right now.

3. If you're wondering where you've seen Tywin Lannister, aka the Elk skinner before, you saw in Arnold "classic" "Last Action Hero" as the dude with the crazy eyeballs.

4. Just when I think Jon Snow is down for the count, he shows up to drop the sickest monologue on the show yet, yes, I'm talking about the Watcher oath which I have shared (the coolest parts only) here: "I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come." Now what to make of his direwolf walking out of the woods with a hand, hopefully we'll be getting our blue eyed demons soon. Also if it's so damn cold up there, get a hat Jon Snow.

5. For those who are wondering, the woman that Little Finger was talking about while ummm giving advice to the fair maidens was Catelyn Stark. This could be pieced together from combining his conversations with Catelyn in earlier episodes. Thank god I have astute co-workers who pick up on this stuff....guess I was distracted during that scene.

6. The Lannister patriarch gutting that elk was definitely a metaphor for the brutality of the Lannisters. There are many animals on the show, whether it is the direwolves, Bram's raven, the Dothraki horses, or even the mythical dragons. Having a Lannister systematically gut en Elk is just a way to tell us they are evil bastards, but we already knew that.

7.  Now that all Ned Stark's scheming has cumulated with his letter getting torn up by Queen bitch Cersei and Little Finger betraying him, I'm starting to wonder how long Ned Stark is gonna last before he goes the way of Boromir. Perhaps the letter he sent off to the King's brother Stannis can save him.

8. Finally, that Dothraki war speech had me so amped I was ready to go attack my roommates/neighbors. Now every time I do anything I yell out "AS THE STARS LOOK DOWN IN WITNESS"
"I'm gonna roll on everybody!"

No comments:

Post a Comment