September 28, 2008

Eagle Eye (a.k.a. Facebook)








So I saw "Eagle Eye" last night, and I have to say I had a great time watching it. And if you know me or you've been reading this blog, you know I like movies that are fun to watch. Sure there are some incredible moments that were hard for even me to believe, but generally it was a good ride. Shia LaBeouf, is a legit movie star and he shines in this role.

So now that we got that mini review out of the way, let's talk about what "Eagle Eye" is really about: facebook. In case you don't know the film is a paranoid thriller where a "voice" (really a super smart computer) gives two characters instructions that they must carry out or they or their loved ones will be terminated. This voice knows everything about the characters, and as the film points out it even knows "personalities."

This is the world we live in now. So much of our lives is public, it is easy for someone to put together a clear picture of who anybody is. If you want to know who I am, you can google me. You will see that I wrote for the newspaper at school, studied abroad in Spain, have a facebook page, and clearly am the coolest dude in the universe. But with a little more time you can learn things about my family, my interests, my phone number, my email, everything you need. And where is the central location of all this personal data? Facebook. When you think about it, facebook knows a lot about you, just like the "voice."

And the crazy thing is unlike the evil computer in the film, you can't stop facebook. You just gotta hope it stays a groovy networking site and pray it doesn't morph into a super evil computer bent on destruction and death. But if that does happen we got Shia to save us.

1 comment:

  1. if you're interested, you should check out some reading on how our lives are also turning into Orwellian-style Big Brother outfits, especially in Europe...

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=boingboing.net&sitesearch=boingboing.net&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=surveillance&spell=1

    ReplyDelete