September 11, 2008

On Patriotism

On the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks I think it's time that we examine patriotism in the country. Let it be know that I'm a big fan of America. I like American things like baseball, equal rights, hot dogs, personal freedom, football, the hard work ethic, and the great American landscape. However, I don't agree with everything America has done, is doing, or potentially will do.

Too often I think we label patriotism as one singular mindset, as in "he's patriotic because he enlisted" or "she's is not patriotic because she doesn't support the war." People are patriotic in different ways, and we as Americans have to acknowledge that. It's not a singular belief, but an all encompassing one. I wanted to see the U.S.A. crush every country in the Olympics, so that makes me patriotic? I don't support the policies of President Bush, does that make me un-patriotic? Patriotism is not claimed by one group of people.

In fact, the only thing that bothers me when it comes to patriotism are people who say they will leave the country if "x" happens. This country would have to get wicked crazy for me to leave, it's been great to me and my family, I would not run away so quickly. If you love something and it's been good to you, you stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment