April 22, 2009

Narcissism? Not me, I'm better than that.


I LOVE MYSELF
There is a new book making headlines, apparently it's better and more deserving of headlines than other books. It's called "The Narcissism Epidemic" and it's main claim is that the current generation of Americans (you know the ones that use that twitter thing, facebook each other, and listen to that God damn Rock and Roll dance music) are more self centered than ever. The book cites students who have attitudes on learning like the following.

"If I go to class I should at least get a B."

Written by Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D. and Keith Campbell, PhD. First off, I gotta say it's hard to be narcissistic with a name like Twenge, that name is like a wedgie & wet willie magnet. While I do feel like my generation does feel a certain sense of entitlement, I don't neccesarily think that is a bad thing. Yeah, if Phillip Esquire IV, from the Hamptons feels like he should have a BMW, a jet, and a lollipop, that's messed up.

But there is a fine line between defeating narcissism and crushing dreams. If some little girl thinks she's special and wants to be cure cancer, maybe society shouldn't be so quick to tell her she's not special and her dream should dry up like a raisin in the sun.

And by the way, a quick note to Dr. Twenge and Campbell, for people who hate narcissim, having personal pages on Simon & Schuster about your personal appearances and accomplishments aint the most humble thing in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment