August 27, 2009

Michael Crichton And The Return Of Reading

The first thing I remember reading correctly was a road sign. I was cruising along in the backside of forrest green mini van when I spotted the sign, and everything just clicked into place. I thought to myself two things: 

1) That sign definitely says "SLOW."
2) Now that you can read, what do you do now?

Well the obvious answer was start reading books, not some children books, but some real deal books, the ones that are about as  thick as a diesel hamburger. At my brother's recommendation I dove into one author in particular: the legendary Michael Chrichton.

You name the book I read it. Congo, Sphere, Jurassic Park, Timeline, State of Fear, Prey, Next, Great Train Robbery, The Box Car Children, uh just kidding, don't know how that got in there.

So when awoke this morning to learn that he has one more book coming out after his death, I was excited. When I learned it's historical fiction about pirates (real deal pirates, not these wanna be young jacks in the Carribbean, old school parrot talking, plank walking, and eypatch rocking pirates) I was jazzed. The book comes out on November 24th, Spielberg is already talking about directing the feature adaptation. Time to enlist back in the high seas of literary adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment