August 17, 2009

Tarantino's Must See List


Here we have the sometimes brilliant, usually bizarre, and always interesting Quentin Tarantino dropping science about his favorite films since 1992. With "Inglorious Basterds" coming out on Friday, there no doubt will be a PR blitz of all things Tarantino. So, with the upcoming onslaught on the horizon, I wanted to share this video (via the amazing website /film) with everybody because it provides an very atypical list of films since 1992. For those of you who don't want to watch the whole video, here is the list
Battle Royale (TPG)
Anything Else
Audition
Blade (TPG)
Boogie Nights
Dazed & Confused (TPG)
Dogville
Fight Club (TPG)
Friday (TPG)
The Host (TPG)
The Insider (TPG)
Joint Security Area
Lost In Translation
The Matrix (TPG)
Memories of Murder
Police Story 3
Shaun of the Dead (TPG)
Speed (TPG)
Team America (TPG)
Unbreakable (TPG)

I have put a little TPG next to the films that I have seen (yeah I haven't seen "Boogie Nights" or "Lost in Translation", relax all you hipsters and film elitists, I'll get to them one day). I have to say I really agree with many of the films on his list. Tarantino was famously a video store clerk before he became famous, and his love of cinema is reflected on this list.

Many of these movies are notable because they started a trend. An example of this would be "Shaun of the Dead" which kickstarted the whole screwball comedy horror genre (see the upcoming "Zombieland" as an example). So, while this list can be a little daunting, I would recommend that you watch "Unbreakable" before any other film on this list. It's an incredibly interesting and mis-understood movie. You go see that and I'll see "Boogie Nights." Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment