October 14, 2008

The Ecstasy of Sweet Commercials

So on Sunday, I watched the Patriots get tortured and destroyed the by the San Diego Chargers, but one positive thing came out of the loss; I saw an amazing commercial for Nike Football. Check it out below.


The music playing here is the "Ecstasy of Gold"
, by legendary film composer Ennio Morricone. Of course, it has a sick break beat playing with it, something which is not new, Jay-Z sampled this track on the Blueprint 2 album on a nas dis track called "Blueprint 2."

The video is very similar to the previous "take nothing" spot, which was directed by the legendary Michael Mann. I don't know if he directed this one, but it is very similar.

The generally concept, from the womb to the, um, confrontation on the football field is very cool and unique, some sort of pigskin
Destiny. I guess Nike is trying to say that both of their lives built to that moment, which is pretty deep on psychological, philosophical, existential level. But when they collide, they are children again. What does it mean?

I don't know, my football side of the brain and my deep philosophical side of the game are not programed to work together.

1 comment:

  1. It's directed by David Fincher but it doesn't have much of a Fincher feel to it. Totally agree about the song though. Bad ass. And originally from 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly'.

    ReplyDelete